Version 3.2b1, 19 July 2003
- Added support for XHTML.
- Changed most key bindings in the Editing menu because of a conflict
with OS X.
- Fixed a bug in "Upload home page", which prevented Fetch to create
missing folders on the server side.
- Fixed a bug in the CSS Voice dialog.
- Added some contextual menu support.
- If there is a <META CHARSET=...> element in the beginning of the
file, the window encoding is set according to this. This works only in
- When the menus are used globally the menu items are now correctly
enabled and disabled.
- Many fixes to make everything work properly in Alpha 8 and X.
There are more such fixes to come.
Version 3.1.5, 9 December 2001
- Modified border-left-color, border-top-color, border-right-color,
border-bottom-color, border-left, border-top, border-right, border-bottom,
border-color, and border according to errata of CSS 2.
- Fixed a bug in "Tags to uppercase/lowercase".
Version 3.1.4, 4 November 2001
- When updating files with "include files", and when moving files, Alpha
can now preserve UNIX and Windows line endings in the files. This feature
is disabled by default as it slows down the updating a little. Enable it in
the General HTML mode Preferences dialog box.
- Support for reading the size of PNG image files.
- In CSS mode there is now an option to insert HTML element names in
- "Send file to browser" now works with Apple Help Viewer.
- Fixed a bug in the attribute dialog for INS and DEL.
- Some updates for the coming Alpha 8.
Version 3.1.3, 12 October 2001
- Improvements to "Quote all Attributes", "Tags to Uppercase", and "Tags to Lowercase".
- Faster loading of HTML mode when the CSS menu is deactivated.
- Fix for browsing in home page windows in Alpha 7.5.
Version 3.1.2, 30 June 2001
- Formatting inside "formatting tags" was broken in 3.1.1. Fixed.
- Fixed a bug in the attribute dialog for the LI element.
- Added support for HTML documents in the "New Document" package.
- A couple of other bug fixes.
Version 3.1.1, 20 May 2001
- Support for Smart Paste package.
- Support for the setting "Position After Indentation".
- A new button "Update Size" in the attribute dialog for IMG to update
the WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes.
- Indentation bug fixes.
- Table template bug fix.
- A couple of other bug fixes.
Version 3.1, 8 April 2001
- Support for Mozilla and Opera icons (requires Alpha 7.4.2).
- A couple of bug fixes.
Version 3.1b1, 30 March 2001
- Include files can now contain place holders for text or scripts
specified by additional attributes of the include tags.
- URL and frame target caches can now be saved in sets much in the same
way as Color sets.
- Renamed the Windows menu to Targets, which is a more appropriate name,
as it handles the caches for frame targets.
- Color sets can now be renamed.
- Typing > of a tag now only auto-indent when the tag is at the
beginning of a line.
- Inserting a template now only adjusts the indentation of the current
line when the template is at the beginning of the line. In addition, this
adjustment can be disabled in the General preferences dialog.
- When word completing an element an attribute dialog is now automatically
opened. This behavior can be changed in the General preferences dialog.
- Added a preference to use old style Comment Paragraph.
- Changed key binding for "Untag and Select" because of a conflict with
Mac OS 9.x.
- A couple of bug fixes, particularly in CSS mode.
Version 3.0, 20 January 2001
- Generalization of some parts of the code to prepare for a future XML
- Support for CSS 2.0.
- Updated to HTML 4.01.
- The layout of all elements can be customized.
- The use of optional closing tags can be customized for all such elements.
- A more flexible setting for which attributes to be asked about.
- Improved attribute dialogs with support for more attribute types, charset, media type etc.
- The same improvement for the status bar.
- Much improved validation including validation of attributes.
- Improved parsing of elements when e.g. changing them, checking links
- Improved word completion.
- Compatibility with Better Templates package.
- Colors are put in color sets which can be activated/deactivated.
- Rewrote menu routines to support menu::insert.
- CSS menu is now part of HTML mode.
- "New document with content" rather than stupid
- Better but still simple template function, which is replacing Footers.
- Language and ISO (thanks Frédéric) support for 'last
- Character translation of (most) "other chars".
- No character translation inside comments.
- New interface for extending HTML mode with new elements.
- Include file tags can now use relative paths.
- 'Rename files' function.
- 'Rename folder' function.
- Cmd-double-click on CSS properties to edit them.
- Uploading of complete home page folder to ftp server.
- "Save to FTP server" now creates missing directories.
- New coloring option for immediate coloring when typing.
- Auto-indentation when completing and when typing > of a tag.
- Replaced "Change Container/Change Opening" with a simpler "Edit Tag".
- Replaced "Select Opening" with a more useful "Select Tag" function.
- Better compatibility with AlphaTk.
- Many, many small improvements...
Version 2.1.5, December 2000 [only bundled with beta versions of Alpha 7.4]
- Added "Electrics" preference item in both HTML and CSS modes.
- Added Send URL to browser function in Browsers submenu. Sends the URL
of the front window to the browser. Useful if you edit the file directly
on the server and it contains server side scripting.
Version 2.1.4, 24 April 1999
- The package Better Templates is turned off in HTML mode because of
incompatibility. (Only in Alpha 7.1 and above.)
- Added support for iCab.
- Fixed problem with translation of ¡ and ¿.
- Alpha looks for more than one <!-- LASTMODIFIED --> when saving.
- Some few changes to the attributes of some elements according to errata
of the HTML 4.0 specification.
- A few other minor bug fixes.
Version 2.1.3, 1 November 1998
- In the prefs dialog "Attributes..." the settings in the two checkboxes
weren't saved between sessions. Fixed!
Version 2.1.2, 2 June 1998
- When including the same include file more than once in a document, Alpha
thought there was an infinite loop of includes. Fixed!
Version 2.1.1, 16 May 1998
- HTML mode now recognizes the prefs variable indentationAmount and
doesn't just indent with tabs.
Version 2.1, 5 April 1998
- Added support for HTML 4.0.
- The Packages menu is gone. Global preferences for which elements
and attributes to use are set using 'Attributes...' in the Preferences
- The way to choose which attributes to be asked about has been
modified and simplified (I hope).
- The event handlers are treated in the same way as other attributes.
The setting 'Include event handlers in attribute dialogs' is gone.
- A document type declaration can now be inserted when creating a new
document. This document type declaration is used by HTML mode to
determine which elements and attributes are allowed.
- Relative links in dynamically included
files can now be built when the files are included. No need anymore
to use absolute links in the included files.
- Recursive including of files is now supported. One file can include
another file which includes another file which...
- Include tags can now be pasted from the home page windows.
- By default 'Insert include tags' only inserts the tags and not the
file. This behavior can be changed in the preferences.
- Added many new character entities. Key bindings for the entities
can now be defined.
- Removed 'Word complete' and the various tab functions from the
Editing submenu. The functionality is still there! HTML mode now uses
global functions for this. If you want to modify the key bindings for
these functions, this is now done using Config -> Global ->
- In Alpha 7.0 word completion now requires that Elec Completions
in activated in the Packages submenu. In Alpha 7.1 it requires
that Elec Completions is checked in the dialog Config -> Global ->
Menus and Features...
- Cmd-double-clicking on HREF="file#anchor" now makes Alpha jump to
- Transformation of all tags to uppercase or lowercase.
- To save your ears Alpha now only beeps for the first attribute when
using the status bar.
- Alpha can also flash the status bar when asking for attributes.
- Setting for case sensitive link checking now also applies to Big
- Choosing a new browser now also sends the window to the browser
unless the option key is pressed.
- Changed the key binding for 'New Document' to make it the same as in
- Changed default menu icons.
- The tab marks are now called template stops, which is the term used
elsewhere in Alpha.
Version 2.0.5, 2 March 1998
- The same as version 2.0.4 but for Alpha 7.1b1.
Version 2.0.4, 7 February 1998
- 'Send file to browser' sometimes sent the wrong page in Alpha 7.0. Fixed.
- 'New element' didn't work with Alpha 7.0. Fixed.
Version 2.0.3, 3 November 1997 [update of version 2.0.1]
- The same as version 2.0.2 but for Alpha 7.0.
Version 2.0.2, 3 November 1997 [update of version 2.0]
Alpha by Wolfgang Haeuptli.
- Under MacOS 8 Alpha always thought Big Brother was too old. Fixed.
- When changing CSS properties using the dialogs, Alpha would delete
text incorrectly. Fixed.
- Some other CSS bugs fixed.
Version 2.0.1, 19 October 1997
- Updated to work with Alpha 7.0.
- Added icons to the 'Browsers' menu just for fun.
- Menu icons can be changed.
- Braces bindings use the 'International' prefs.
Version 2.0, 22 September 1997
- 'Save to FTP server' didn't work for files in subdirectories. Fixed.
- 'Save to FTP server' now also works with NetFinder.
- Added 'Reload in Browser' to CSS menu.
- Redesigned key bindings dialog.
- 'Last modified' default text can be changed.
- Interchanged keybindings for 'Word Complete' and 'Remove marks' for compatibility
with future versions of Alpha.
- 'Word completion' now calls the general word completion when appropriate.
- Worked around the coloring bug when changing coloring.
- Fine tuning of word completion and indentation.
- A couple of other bugs have been fixed.
Version 2.0b2, 17 August 1997
- When you're using CSS dialogs Alpha is more
clever about where to insert the text and what to delete.
- The sizes and positions of home page
windows are remembered when they are closed.
- Checking and fixing remote links with Big Brother.
- Redefined what is meant by Netscape and IE only: Anything in HTML
4.0 draft are not considered to be Netscape or IE 'only' elements or
- When using 'Save to Ftp Server' Alpha would freeze waiting for a
- When making 'include tags' the path to the file to include begins
with :INCLUDE: if it's in a include folder. This makes it easier to
move the include folder.
- Bindings of custom HTML elements now always work in CSS mode.
- HTML words are now be colored in CSS mode.
- Slightly changed behavior for 'New Document'.
- A couple of bugs introduced in version 2.0b1 have been fixed.
Version 2.0b1, 20 July 1997
- Support for editing of Cascading Style Sheets and a separate CSS
- Lots of new HTML elements. Now possible to hide certain attributes
in the attribute dialogs.
- A clever word completion feature to save you time while typing.
- Customizable indentation of the code.
- A function to reformat messy code to make it more readable.
- You can open windows, called "home page windows", with lists of
files from where you can easily copy and paste to make links.
- The menu is split into two menus.
- When changing packages the menu is no longer rebuilt. Menu items
are disabled or enabled instead.
- A userfriendly interface to change the key bindings in the menus.
- Coloring more customizable.
- Added a 'Preferences' submenu to the HTML menu.
- Validation of the code.
- Option-click on titlebar brings up popup menu with attributes.
- It's now possible to change attributes in the status bar. Ctrl-D to
ignore default value.
- 'Use Attributes' settings optionally apply to attribute dialogs.
- In 'Tabs to Rows' and 'Import Table' multiple tabs can now be
treated as a single one.
- Cmd-double-click on a tag to change attributes.
- Check links, move files etc. now recognize comments.
- Check links, move files etc. understand CSS urls.
- A Frontier menu.
- Less blank lines are inserted after tags.
- Function to create index of document.
- Function to remove all tags.
- A function to calculate the total document size including images
- Saving to FTP server.
- You can fix links by selecting a new file after checking links.
- In status bar event handlers are always asked for when 'include
event handlers' is set.
- 'New Document' can open a new window if window is non-empty.
- Braces are only electric between SCRIPT and STYLE tags.
- 'Help' can open different pages in the manual.
- MSIE no longer opens a new window when a file is sent to it.
- Now possible to send window to Cyberdog.
- Support for custom palettes.
- Scanning of files more memory efficient (how about that Netscape?)
when there are very many or very large files.
- Now compatible with Vince's Additions (except for a few key
bindings in the menus you may have to change).
- A number of other small changes and a few minor bug fixes.
Version 1.4.1, 2 April 1997
- A few changes to the HTML 3.2 package to make it agree with the
final recommendation from W3C 14 January 1997.
- Alpha can now optionally save a window without asking when you send
it to your browser.
- If you have more than one version of the same browser and one is
running, Alpha no longer tries to launch the second one when you send a
file to the first one.
- You can now set the line width of your HTML documents (fillColumn
- A couple of bug fixes. In particular a bug which in a few cases
would extract the wrong width and height of gifs and jpegs has been
Version 1.4, 21 January 1997
- Files outside home page folders are considered to have URLs like
file:///path/to/file.html. This implies that you can now check links
between all files, not only the ones in your home page folders.
Similarly you can make links via a file dialog between all files, and
cmd-double-click now works for all files.
- Improved integration with Big Brother. (You need Big Brother 1.1 or
- Each home page folder can have a corresponding include folder,
where you can put all your files to be dynamically included. This
include folder is mapped to the same URL as the home page folder.
- Move files works for files
in these new include folders.
- 'Update folder' and 'update file' for include files.
- Case-sensitive link checking.
- You can now choose if you want to check anchors when you check
- Unsafe characters in URLs are coded when they are inserted, e.g.
space becomes %20.
- Long opening tags are wrapped when they are inserted.
- Cmd-double-click on an include
tag opens file.
- Home page URLs no longer have to be
specified in two pieces.
- 'Check links' didn't work for anchors with spaces. Fixed.
- 'Check folder' can now optionally check subfolders.
- 'Convert NCSA map' couldn't correctly translate circle areas.
- When image maps are converted, the default URL is now put last.
- color_9 ... color_15 can be used as keyword color.
- The predefined colors are replaced by the 16 ones defined in HTML
- HTML manual can be opened from the menu.
- Added onReset to FORM.
- Added HEIGHT to TABLE.
- SHAPE=DEFAULT removed from HTML 3.2 package.
- ALT is now correctly a required attribute of AREA.
- A couple of other minor changes and bug fixes.
Version 1.3, 17 November 1996
- New submenu 'Browsers' where you can add all your browsers, and
quickly choose which one to send files to. ('Choose browser' is gone,
and as a consequence changed the key binding for SCRIPT back again.)
- 'Check links' now checks anchors.
- Fixed a bug in 'Check links' for links like HREF="#anchor" in files
containing a <BASE HREF="url">.
- Improved error handling in 'Move files' and 'Update home page'.
- Fixed a bug with include tags split into two lines.
- 'Includes' now works for paths containing the characters "<>.
- Similar fix for 'last modified date'.
- A few other minor changes and fixes.
Version 1.3b2, 4 November 1996
- The HTML prefs file (if any) sometimes wasn't loaded in 1.3b1.
- Modified Table template.
- New Tabs to Rows dialog.
- Function to import a table from a
- Make list can now optionally
insert list tags.
- Untitled windows could not be sent to browser. Fixed.
- Updating dynamically included files now
changes last modified date.
- Importing an exported URL cache missed first URL. Fixed.
- You can now go back in 'Clean up cache' dialog.
- BASEFONT added to HTML 3.2 package. (Included in the latest draft
- Described in this help file how to easily bind any menu item to any
Version 1.3b1, 22 October 1996
- You can now define more than one home page folder, each containing
files of different sites.
- Support for dynamically included files.
- Conversion of NCSA and CERN image map
files to client side image maps.
- New interface for defining colors. You can now also define a color
by specifying its hexadecimal number.
- New interface for footers.
- When selecting a GIF or JPEG file for <IMG> via a file dialog
its width and height are automatically determined. The algorithm for
JPEG is taken from the perl script 'wwwimagesize' by Alex Knowles,
firstname.lastname@example.org, and Andrew Tong, email@example.com.
- The URL cache can be exported to a file for
- You can scan any file for URLs and import them to the URL cache.
- The names of the files in a folder can be imported to the URL
- Last modified date can
automatically be inserted when you save a file.
- Link checking can be done with Big Brother by François Pottier.
- Function to change choices directly in the document.
- Translation of <>&.
- A user friendly settings dialog.
- Cmd-double-click on a color
attribute brings up a color picker and let you change the color.
- Ctrl-q to skip the rest of the attributes in status bar.
- Required attributes are asked for again in status bar.
- Links checks can be done in the current window.
comment depending on the position.
- Funcs menu lists headers H1-6.
- Function to select the content of a container.
- Shift-ctrl-opt-space bound to
- Table template optionally without TABLE tags.
- 'Reveal color' has moved to new 'Editing' sub menu, and has got a
new key binding.
- Added ARCHIVE and MAYSCRIPT to APPLET.
- Some other minor changes.
Version 1.2.2, 3 October 1996
- You can now change browser for preview (option on 'send file to
browser'). As a consequence, the key binding for SCRIPT is changed.
- 'Check links', 'Move files' and cmd-double-click now correctly
interpret links like HREF="#anchor" as pointing to the file itself and
not to "index.html#anchor".
- The same functions now ignores "news:" links like they always have
ignored "mailto:" links.
Version 1.2.1, 12 September 1996
- Move files no longer remove
blank lines in the moved files.
- Special window names _self _top _parent _blank correctly set to
- 'Mark file' didn't find header when opening tag was split into two
- HTTP-EQUIV is no longer a required attribute of META.
- Value of NAME attribute to A, MAP and FRAME wasn't added to cache
when tags were set in lowercase. Fixed.
Version 1.2, 3 August 1996
- The package HTML 2.0 is removed, since it is out-dated. From now on
there will only be two packages, one with the latest official HTML and
one where extensions have been included.
- There is now only two way to input
attributes, the dialogs introduced in 1.1 and the status bar.
- Improved behavior when attributes are
given in the status bar. ctrl-z to
cancel, ctrl-f for a file dialog or new
color. When a value is chosen from a popup window, Alpha immediately
jumps to the next attribute.
- A new userfriendly way to add new HTML
- A function to move files
between folders and automatically update all links to and in them.
reserved words are colored, not built in methods and properties.
- A window cache just like the URL cache. Frame names are automatically added to
- A new submenu with plug-ins.
optionally appear in the attribute
- Only one menu item for <A>.
- Added SRC to <SCRIPT>.
- Added <NOSCRIPT>, <MULTICOL> and <SPACER>.
- Added FRAMEBORDER, BORDERCOLOR to <FRAME>.
- Added FRAMEBORDER, BORDERCOLOR, BORDER to <FRAMESET>.
- Added FACE to <FONT>.
- Added onMouseOut to <A>.
- Added onAbort, onError, onLoad to <IMG>.
- Added onClick, onMouseOver, onMouseOut to <AREA>.
- When trying to add a link via a file dialog, windows with '
<n>' added to the window name were asked to be saved even if they
already were saved. Fixed!
- Send file to browser didn't work for windows with ' <n>'
- Problems finding the browser fixed.
- Reveal color didn't find color attribute if color wasn't quoted.
- Check links didn't find BASE if it was split into two lines. Fixed!
- Check links and cmd-double-click now correctly interpret paths of
the form "./file.html".
- Check links and cmd-double-click now search for a file
index.html when a link points to a folder.
- Check links didn't work for files with UNIX or IBM newlines. (All
links were found to be ok.) Fixed!
- Some lists couldn't be inserted when using the status bar. Fixed!
- 'Change opening' didn't work for INPUT elements in lower case.
- The variable htmlElemAttrsForAll is no
- Some other minor changes and bug fixes.
Version 1.1.1, 17 June 1996
- Rewrote some of the code so that HTML mode loads faster.
- The menu Use Attributes is disabled
when it is not needed.
- Added <U> and <NOEMBED>.
- The new suffix mapping is used to determine if a file is a HTML
file when deciding which files to scan to check the links.
Version 1.1, 21 May 1996
- The HTML elements are put into three
packages, HTML 2.0, HTML 3.2 and Extensions.
- A function to check that all links
between files in your home page are ok.
- Attributes to an element can be input
in one single dialog box, rather that giving the attributes one after
- When you are asked about an URL attribute, you can choose a file
via a file dialog. The relative path is automatically inserted.
- "Fill paragraph" is now sensitive to HTML elements.
- cmd-doubleclick on a relative
URL opens the file, or if it does not exits, it can create a new file
and save it in the right place.
- You can define a new color when you are asked about a color
- You can define files with footers, which can be automatically
inserted when you create a new document.
- Control that a value given to a number attribute is valid.
- Control that a value given to a color attribute is valid.
- New dialog box for "New
document" where you can choose which elements you want in the head,
and also select a file with a footer to insert in the end of the body.
- Character translation can be done in
a selection. The translation is also a lot faster.
- Tab marks can be removed in a selection.
- "Select container" and "Untag" now find the correct pair of tags
when there are elements of the same kind within each other, like a
<TABLE> within a <TABLE>.
- "Select container" and "Untag" now ignores all tags without a
- A function to select a tag with no closing tag.
- A function to untag a element with no closing tag.
- A function to untag a container and automatically select the
- A function to change an element in the document.
- New key binding for untag: ctrl-F1. It has been bundled with the
new functions just mentioned.
- Mark file now finds headers with opening and closing tags on
different lines. Each menu item is limited to 30 characters, not to
make them too long.
- If you use any of the two old ways of inputting attributes, you can
set a flag for each element, so that you can optionally be asked about
the attributes not chosen in the "Use attributes" menu.
- A table template function, to
quickly make tables.
- With "Tabs to rows" you can now
optionally put table headers in first row and/or column.
- "Rows to tabs" now follow the HTML
code, not the line breaks in the file.
- A function to insert <BR> at
the end of every line in a selection.
- A function to remove every
<BR> in a selection.
- A function to insert <P> at
empty lines in a selection.
- A function to make a HTML list from a *'d list.
- Undo is now easier, although you sometimes still have to make two
"Undos" to undo something.
- For attributes which can take any value, beginning and ending
spaces are no longer removed. Sometimes these spaces are wanted.
- When <A NAME="xxx"> or <MAP NAME="xxx"> is inserted,
"#xxx" is added to URL cache.
- New dialog box for cleaning up URL cache.
- Two identical colors can no longer be defined.
- New elements STRIKE and DFN.
- New element <INPUT TYPE=BUTTON> in extensions package. To be
- A couple of new attributes added so some elements.
- For the AREA element, a check is made that you use one of the
attributes HREF and NOHREF is used, but not both.
- The key binding for "Comment line" have been changed to ctrl-C-L to
conform with other modes.
Version 1.0, 25 March 1996
- A lot of new elements are included.
- It's possible to define colors to use as background color, text
color etc. from a color picker.
- Translation of accented letters (é, á etc.) to HTML
entities and vice versa.
- The attributes of the elements are divided into required and
optional ones. If you skip a required one, no element is inserted. You
can no longer make elements like <A></A>.
- For some elements there is a separate key binding as well as menu
item to automatically skip all attributes.
- Improved behavior when the status bar is used to input attributes.
- Untagging works better.
- Marking of the file works better.
- Plus a number of other small changes.